T.E.S.T. Interview: BZMW

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 110th in our series and is with Brett Willemson of BZMW.  


How long have you been painting?

I've been painting since I was a child, but only in 2016 did I start doing it as more of a regular hobby. I probably paint once a month now. I live in a really small apartment so doing a painting takes a lot of effort. I have to cover up much of my living room with a drop cloth which makes my apartment pretty much unusable for the weekend.  

Do you have any artistic training or education?

Other than taking a few art classes in high school I have no artistic training. A lot of trial and error and youtube has helped me figure out a lot of things like how to mix paint, what different types of paints are good at, and most importantly for me: What is a painting "Medium"  

What made you decide to open an Etsy shop?

I never really intended to get to the point where I had an Etsy shop but eventually I noticed that I had a bunch of unsold painting sitting in my bedroom so I decided that one of the best ways to sell them would be to drop them on something like Etsy.  

Have you had any challenges in opening your shop? Anything you’ve learned so far that would be helpful for others starting out as Etsy sellers?

I haven't really had any huge troubles with my shop, getting those first sales is difficult but def possible. I would recommend also having an Instagram or Twitter account to get a bit more exposure of your pieces.

Do you sell your paintings in person or at markets at all, or only on Etsy?

I prefer selling paintings in person, there's just so much more connection when you can see and hold the painting. I have yet to attend any markets but have been looking to attend one, I just need to find one that's appropriate for my work.  



Anything else you want to add about yourself or your shop?

I mentioned instagram before. Checkout my instagram! @bzmwillemsen







Interviewed by Kayla and Aline of Slabstract in Toronto, February 5, 2017.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails